Thursday, March 19, 2009

Right Turn on Red

This morning on our way to school (really daycare, but I like to call it school) Evan was helping me with my driving by telling me when I should go and when I should stop. He's been learning about the signals in school since that is how they chart their behavior. For example when his behavior is good he has a green light, after a warning he will get a yellow light and after several warnings he gets a red light.

Evan was doing an excellent job alerting me the moment the light turned green that it was time for me to go. Well I really confused him when I was stopped at a red light and made a right turn before the light turned green. Evan noticed this apparent blunder right away and told me that red means stop. I tried to explain to him that in some situations red means stop, look around, make sure the coast is clear then go. As this explanation was coming out of my mouth I realized how confusing this would be for him and how it could possibly get him into trouble at school. I could just see him telling his teacher that his mommy said that sometimes it was OK to continue doing whatever bad behavior he was doing as long as the coast was clear! So, instead of coming up with a better explanation ( I figured at this point all I would really do was confuse him more) I just turned up the Veggie Tales CD and encouraged him to sing along in the hopes of distracting him. Luckily it worked....this time.

1 comment: