Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Cookies

Over the weekend I decided to make Christmas cookies for the first time on my own (without the help of my mom - well, that's not totally true, mom did get one or two SOS calls along the way!) I will have to say that for my first solo attempt they turned out really good. I made peanut butter blossoms and something I'm going to call "Fake-out Toffee". The toffee was my favorite and sooo easy to make. Here is the recipe:

1 sleeve saltine crackers
2 sticks of butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 bag chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans

1. Line a medium sized jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and preheat oven to 375
2. Lay out saltine crackers in one layer on pan
3. Melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes
4. Pour mixture over crackers and bake for 15 minutes
5. Remove from oven and pour chocolate chips on top. Spread evenly, sprinkle with nuts
6. Let cool, then refrigerate for several hours
7. Break into pieces. Keep refrigerated.

These are so yummy and simple to make. The boys even helped out by laying out the crackers for me. When it came time to try out what we had made their favorites were the peanut butter blossoms.

Licking the spoon...the best part of baking with mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment